I know it is hard to believe but, by Christmas day, I was all outa soap. A month before Christmas, I was concerned that the soap would take over the house but then I really got into the Christmas groove and sold or gave away every decent bar of soap I had. Maus and I get to use the not-so-pretty ones. It felt great being liberated from all the old ones and gave me an excuse to make some more.
I made the top soap in early December. I only made 6 bars because I wasn’t sure how it would go and I didn’t want 12 bars of ugly soap. As it turns out, I love it. The little orange flecks are dried orange peel and the Fragrance Oil is Brambleberry Orange Peel. It smells just like orange peel and it behaved amazingly well in the soap batter – no discolouration and no acceleration. Luckily, I bought a big bottle. I will be making this one again.
Then I made this soap which I called Pipe Dreams. They haven’t finished curing yet. I saw the idea on this Soap Queen tutorial – alas, Anne-Marie’s look much better than mine. To get the effect, you place (vertical) lengths of poly pipe into your mould and pour white batter around the pipes. The next day you remove the pipes and then pour coloured batter into the negative space. Mine didn’t turn out perfect but I am pretty happy with them. I tackled 6 colours for the first time (which, initially, I wasn’t going to attempt but decided to live dangerously). Alas, the batter thickened so I wasn’t able to pour the colours into the spaces. Instead, I could only blob it in. Next time, next time …
The last two batches I have made since Christmas. This one I absolutely love. The fragrance is Brambleberry Sensuous Sandalwood and I used rhassoul clay as a natural colourant. I think it is a perfect match for the sandalwood fragrance. The pattern is a Taiwan swirl. It was my first attempt at the swirl and I really like it. The above photo is the cut side. The photo below shows the textured face. I like both.
This is my last effort. I made the curls when I made the white soap for Pipe Dreams. My curls most certainly leave a lot to be desired but they do look kinda nice in an abstract, free-form way. I have an idea on how to improve my curls so, if I do this design again, I will try it. I used Brambleberry Lavender fragrance oil which I quite like as it behaves and, logically, goes well with purple, my favourite colour. I think I will call these Lavender Hugs.
Thanks for humouring me and my new obsession.