My second soap post was entitled “It’s Official, I’m Addicted!” No truer words have been written. Soap making is so addictive.
At first, I liked it because I could make something that was useful without getting fat. But, as time goes on, that is not true any more. Well, it is not making me fat but how useful can all this soap be?? Maus and I would be washing 24 hours a day to keep up with my production.
The situation has got so out of control, Maus has had to make me a separate shelf in the laundry on which to cure my soaps. She offered me two shelves but I thought that was just too ridiculous. We will see how long it is before I need that second shelf. 🙂
The soap in the top photo was my latest effort. Maus made me a new tall mould which I used but, when I cut the soap, I decided that the bars were too big so I cut them in half. They do look better. I also decided that the top halves look better vertical so that is how I photographed them.
Every time I make soap, it is a huge learning experience. Firstly, I will have to rethink my mould. I don’t think people will want huge bars of soap. Secondly, I used Bramble Berry’s Lily of the Valley fragrance oil which caused me heart ache. I read as much as possible about it before I started – and it got fab reviews – but my soap overheated and the white section got glycerine rivers. They are no big deal but ……grrrh. I put the scrapings from my bowl into a small silicon mould and that did not get glycerine rivers. So… the lesson for the day was no more floral fragrances or, if I must use a floral fragrance, no titanium dioxide or, if I can’t resist using floral fragrances and titanium dioxide, then don’t insulate the soap – keep it cool!!!
This is my cappuccino effort. There is no colour in the dark portion of the soap. The colour in the bottom layer is discolouration from Bramble Berry Turkish mocha fragrance oil. The second layer is, again, discolouration from the fragrance oil (I only put a little bit in that layer) and coffee beans. The top layer has no fragrance, only titanium dioxide to enhance the whiteness. I am amazed how dark the middle layer with the coffee grains is. There is also some morphing of the coffee colour into the white. The top is sprinkled with cocoa powder.
I spoon-swirled the layers but I didn’t like it. You can just see the swirl between the first and the second layer in this photo. This bar is the end bar so it didn’t get much of a swirl and I like it the best. Lesson here: Next time, no swirl and, I will only have two layers: the dark and the white so it looks more like a real coffee. I think less white would look better and I may skip the coffee beans. I will decide on that after we try the soap.
Finally, my honey and oatmeal soap. This one turned out exactly as I hoped. It is very exciting when that happens. This recipe actually includes honey and ground oatmeal. The honey comb top is from lining the soap mould with bubble wrap. It is a fabulous effect. Again, no colour was used in this soap. The colour (which is perfect for the theme of the soap) is discolouration from the fragrance oil (Bramble Berry Oatmeal Milk & Honey). No lessons here because everything went to plan. Yippee!!!