Before I begin this post, I must apologise for the photos. They were taken with the incorrect white balance. I have done my best to fix them, but when they are so out, it is hard to get them right. Of course, if I was in Bridgetown, I could just go outside and take them again. Alas, I am in Perth.
Bad photos not withstanding, we must proceed and the subject of the above photo is the main reason for this post. I have had the whip out for ages now and Maus has, finally, finished my compost bin(s)! Isn’t it beautiful. I just love it. She’s a gem 🙂
The design is classic: the first bin is twice the size of the second bin which is twice the size of the third bin. You fill up the biggest bin, then let it break down until it is half full. You then shovel the compost into the second bin. When that has broken down by half you shovel it into the third bin. When that has broken down by half, it is ready to go into your vegie patch. The system works wonderfully. We have been using the same system (on a much smaller scale) at our Perth house for nearly 30 years.
Actually, you may have noticed, I have two bins, ie, two lots of three so when the first bin is decomposing, we switch to putting weeds, etc, into the bin next door to it. There is never a weedless moment at our house.
For those interested, the first bins are each 3.6m x 1m, the second bins are each 1.8m x 1 m and the third bins are each .9m x 1m.
This photo is of my vegie patches in general but, in particular, my self-sown cherry tomatoes. They are huge and it is the middle of June. They are pretending it is January. The trouble is it is really too cold for them and the fruit is not ripening well so I might have to pull them up soon. What a pity.
This is my other vegie patch. From front to back, I have garlic, four types of onions, spinach, coriander, leeks, one ruby chard (I am getting smart), one chilli, broccoli galore, parsley and, at the very end on mesh, snow peas.
Here is a close up of the garlic. Notice how there are only two rows. There were 6 rows of garlic. I can only assume some bird came along and ate the other four rows. Luckily for me, they must have got disturbed.
Here are two of my pumpkins. I thought the plant was supposed to be dead by now. I planted the seeds in early spring. I got really impatient last week and picked about twenty. None of them had dead stalks and the plants were still green but the pumpkins are beginning to crack and I have had two rot so I decided not to wait. I put the brick pavers under the balance to keep the pumpkins off the wet ground.
Here are more pumpkins but the photo is not about them, it is all about the bloody self sown tomato plant that is flowering in June. I can’t pull it out because it is all caught up with the pumpkin plants. I have had piles of cherry tomatoes from it.
And here is the vegie patch from afar, showcasing the tomatoes and the snow peas. The vine on the house is one of the passionfruit vines. We are still getting piles of passionfruit but they are not ripening so we are composting them.