Maus and I have decided we don’t like frozen broccoli which is a bit of a problem because there are several bags of it in the freezer – Oh well, more dog food. 🙂
As a consequence, when I picked two huge broccoli heads last week, I was determined to find a use for it. We made penne with broccoli and chorizo which lasted us two nights and then I found this salad. It is from a great little ABC publication I use more than I thought I would, Homecooked Favourite Recipes from Australian Kitchens. It was out and about because I was making one of my favourite biscuit recipes, gingernuts, from it. I started flicking through its pages (as you do) and came across this recipe.
The combination of broccoli, pinenuts, bacon and raisins is a classic that works wonders with pasta, so why not as a salad? ‘Why not indeed?’, I thought. Dinner was set.
The recipe was contributed by Lisa Harris from Aspley, Queensland. I altered the salad ingredients to serve two.
The dressing may need a bit of adjusting to suit your taste. The original recipe used only 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar but I am not a great fan of mayonnaise so I used more to dilute it. Also, Maus found the dressing a bit sweet, therefore, taste it before you put the sugar in. You may find you don’t need any, or only a portion of what is called for. There was a bit of dressing left over so if you decide to increase the salad ingredients, you can keep the quantity of dressing the same.
- 350g broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 bacon rashers, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 small (or half medium) onion, red or white
- ¼ cup raisins
- 50g toasted pine nuts. To toast, put the pine nuts in a dry pan over a medium to low heat, stirring all the while. Remove from the heat when they begin to colour.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbs* caster sugar**
- 3 tbs* apple cider vinegar**
- ¼ tsp pepper
*These are 20 mil tablespoons.
- Briefly steam the broccoli until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté the bacon in a frying pan until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. As per note above, adjust to suit your taste.
- In a large bowl, toss the onion, raisins, broccoli and bacon.
- Pour dressing over and toss again.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle toasted pine nuts over salad.