I love simple one-dish chicken traybake recipes. They take no time to prepare, look impressive and taste great. This one is by the lovely Nigella (Nigellissima) but you don’t really need a recipe, most combos will work.
For this recipe, and all tray bakes, you need chicken on the bone with skin on (I usually buy a whole free range chicken and joint it but chicken thighs or Marylands would work just as well) and a baking tray big enough so all the chicken can fit in one layer.
- 4 potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- zest from one lemon
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken Marylands (bone in and skin on) or a whole chicken jointed into 8-10 pieces
- 8 Italian sausages
- salt & coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the potatoes pieces into an oven proof dish.
- Add the chicken and sausages.
- Arrange 4 sprigs of rosemary among the chicken and sausages.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 sprigs of rosemary and sprinkle it onto the chicken pieces.
- Zest the lemon over everything, and season with the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until the chicken skin and sausages are golden and the potato pieces are cooked through.