I was flipping through Jamie Oliver’s jamie does ….. the other day, looking for our favourite meatball recipe. I should do a post on them but they wouldn’t be particularly photogenic – they look just like meatballs. They taste great, though. If you have the book, make them. They are on page 196.
Anyway, as I was saying, I was flipping through jamie does … and it fell open at page 22, Best Chorizo and Tomato Salad in the World. Now, there is a big call! The recipe called for both cherry tomatoes and normal sized tomatoes. I was instantly interested. We had it for lunch that day and, I must say, as promised by Jamie, it was very, very tasty.
- 1 raw chorizo sausage (approximately 225g), roughly sliced
- olive oil
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 270g of cherry tomatoes, halved if they are large.
- 3 spring onions or 1 shallot, finely sliced
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- sherry vinegar (red wine vinegar will do if you don’t have sherry vinegar)
- a small bunch of parsley leaves (you could also use basil or mint, if you prefer)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- bread, to serve
- optional: goat’s cheese and ham, to serve. I added feta cheese, instead.
- Put the tomatoes into a bowl with some salt and pepper, olive oil and vinegar.
- Sprinkle over the chopped parsley, toss everything together, then put aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sliced chorizo.
- When the chorizo starts to get crispy, add the sliced garlic to the pan and stir.
- When garlic is golden brown, take the pan off the heat and add a splash of vinegar to stop it cooking.
- Spoon the chorizo, garlic and oil from the pan over the salad
- Sprinkle a little extra parsley over salad and go for it. It is divine.
I made the salad, again, a couple of days later, it was so good. I thought it would taste good with some of the tortillas I had made earlier. It certainly was. This time, I just used cherry tomatoes (I have plenty) and, looking at the picture, was more liberal with the parsley.