If you haven’t decided what you are having for dessert on Christmas Day, consider a frozen icecream dessert. They look glam, have festive appeal, there is no work involved on the big day and very little preparation.
I have spread the preparation out over 3 days but you could do this in one day (as long as you have soaked your fruit overnight). All you need is time for the icecream to harden between additions.
No doubt, you will look at the ingredients and ask: How can 4 litres of icecream and all that cream, fruit and chocolate fit into 2 x 1.5 litre bowls? Well it does, and it fits perfectly. Commercial icecream is full of air so you only think you are getting 2 litres.
These quantities will make 2 icecream puddings.
- 3 cups mixed glacé fruit (go for maximum colour: green and red cherries, ginger, pineapple, apricots, pears, peaches, whatever you like and whatever you can get)
- 1 cup of choc bits (milk and/or dark: I went for dark)
- ¼ cup brandy
- 1 cup cream
- 2 litres good quality chocolate icecream
- 1 tbs (20 mls) Tia Maria or Kahlua
- 2 litres good quality vanilla icecream
- Ice Magic chocolate sauce. I figure a few chemicals this week won’t kill us. You could use real chocolate but the Ice Magic sets as it hits the icecream so you get the nice drizzle effect.
- Combine fruit and brandy in a bowl then set aside.
- Line 2 x 1.5 litre bowls with plastic wrap.
- Fold ½ cup of the cream, the choc bits and Tia Maria/Kahlua into the chocolate icecream. If it is a hot day, work quickly as the icecream will begin to melt.
- Put half of the chocolate icecream into each bowl and line the bowl with it. If your icecream has melted too much and it begins to slide down the sides, put it back into the freezer to harden up slightly and then try again. The chocolate icecream should be about 2 cms thick.
- Put bowls back into the freezer until the chocolate icecream is hard.
- Mix the fruit, ½ cup of cream and vanilla icecream together.
- Pour half into each bowl.
- The day before, or the morning before, you are serving, take the pudding out of the freezer and turn onto a plate. If it begins to melt, put it back in the freezer to harden.
- Drizzle with Ice Magic chocolate sauce.
- You are now ready to serve. On the day, merely take out of freezer and decorate with cherries.