Ok, I know everyone must be sick of pomegranate recipes but I thought I would do one last post as pomegranate molasses is often called for in recipes and many wouldn’t know how easy it is to make.
This recipe comes from the beautiful book, Purple Citrus and Sweet Perfume by Silvena Rowe. The only tricky bit to it is timing. Make sure you take it off the heat before you have pomegranate toffee.
- 1 litre pomegranate juice
- 115g sugar
- 4 tbs (60mls) lemon juice.
- Put all the ingredients into a pot and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and gently simmer for up to an hour.
- After about 50 minutes, start watching it carefully. Take it off the heat when it is the consistency of syrup.
- Pour into a sterilised jar and seal.
Makes about 1 cup. If you leave it too long and do end up with toffee, just add a small amount of boiling water (until you get the consistency you want) and bring it back to the boil.
Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Refrigerate after opening.
BTW: The pomegranate jelly was absolutely delicious. It is perfect with cheese. Here it is with a piece of Fontina. That recipe is certainly a ‘do again’.